Friday, July 8, 2011

Outward Bound

NEL-AKL-SIN 7th July
  Free internet here at Singapore Changi airport so I thought I'd use it.
 I didn't realise that Auckland international was in a different building to the domestic terminal so I wandered up and down a couple of times before asking a hospitality driver guy. Signage terrible and both info desks unmanned at the same time.
  In-flight movies. Shutter Island- psychological thriller Leonardo DeCaprio bears a striking resemblance to Orson Welles at the same age; Flawless, gentle 1950's crime intrigue refreshingly devoid of violence featuring Michael Caine and Demi Moore
 Upon our descent to Singapore's Changi airport we encountered a localised thunderstorm and were somewhat buffeted by heavy turbulence. At an altitude of just a few hundred metres, the pilot had to accelerate to gain a little height and perform a left-then-right banking manoeuvre to bring us back onto our approach path. At first I thought it indicated that we would be making a fresh approach circuit, but the pilot obviously managed to accommodate the re-alignment well within safe limits.
 Thursday evening at Harrys Bar in the airport- A singer/guitarist/harmonica player there- jazz, rock and classical pieces- all challenging. I was chatting during his break and mentioned that I would have been singing at the Moutere Inn had I been at home- He invited me and I sang "Birds in the Spring". I don't know if the audience appreciated it, maybe they applauded me for my cheek!
 Stayed last night in the Ambassador Transit Hotel on the mezzanine floor in the Singapore terminal. Cheap, excellent facility. When I see the miserable faces of those lying on the seats trying to grab a few minutes sleep I am grateful. I'm sure a proper sleep at the half way stage must help alleviate the jetlag.

SIN-LHR 8th July
 I woke before six, left the hotel and walked the length of the terminal building and back- thereby discovering the free internet! Dawn comes quickly in Singapore because of it's proximity to the equator. In the time it took me to write this it turned from black to daylight. I breakfasted on local  Peranakan style food at Kim Choo on the mezzanine food court- good, then killed a few hours reading the papers and visiting the Butterfly Garden. My own camera was in my checked baggage so these pics are from the net.
http://www.butterflyhouseconsultancy.com/changi-airport-butterfly-garden.html
 The plane from Singapore to Heathrow was the new Airbus A-380. the worlds largest, and an unbelievably quiet and smooth ride. I occupied the flight by discovering the work of Gustav Mahler. My favourite was the Symphony No 2 "Auferstehung". Recorded at Ely Cathedral in the 1970's. It brought tears to my eyes.
 Cleared Immigration (now renamed Border Control) and Customs very quickly and onto the bus station. Coach to Gatwick, then picked up by Mum & Vic for the half-hour drive to Beeding. Time for a quick bite, then bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment